Here is your midweek jetpack of Amazon seller news, updates, and other useful clicks for your e-commerce business…
Amazon Pilots Return Options at Staples Stores
Amazon is currently testing select Staples stores as in-person drop-off locations for product returns. It is still unknown how many Staples locations are experimenting with the expanded returns options, but there have been mentions of the pilot program in Seattle, Amazon’s hometown.
If things go well, Amazon is looking to go nationwide with accepting returns at Staples, giving customers 1,000 possible locations in 45 states to return purchases they don’t want.
With the holiday return window being temporarily extended until January 31, 2023, it will be interesting to see if return rates explode beyond reason and make us all insane.
Read the full story here.
Getting Ungated on Amazon in 2023: A Master Guide
Let’s call it like is. Product, brand and category restrictions are a b*tch for new resellers. They limit selling opportunities in the marketplace.
However, if you take the time to get properly ungated, you create a barrier between you and a mass of competition that isn’t willing to put the effort in to get ungated.
Yes, the process can be frustrating, but Amazon doesn’t force restrictions just to mess with the sellers – it does so to ensure the integrity of the marketplace and to protect not only the customers but also the sellers.
This past week, Chris Grant put up this awesome master guide to getting ungated in 2023.
This is a must-read if you are looking to expand your selling opportunities come 2023.
January Sales Tax Due Dates and 2023 Sales Tax Updates and Trends
Yep…. nothing else is certain but death and taxes.
Click here to find your state/states to see your upcoming sales tax due date.
Also, make sure to check out this blog post from TaxJar which covers the modernization of sales tax laws, changes in the non-luxury essentials category, and the new streamlined sales tax filing requirements.
There’s also a 2023 Sales Tax Preparedness guide that you can read to help you make sure that you stay in full compliance next year.
Five 2023 Tech Predictions from Amazon CTO Dr. Werner Vogels
Since 2005, Amazon CTO Dr. Werner Vogels has been the main driver of technology innovation in the company. Under his wing, many projects have seen significant progress, but many others have fizzled out.
Recently, he shared five tech predictions for 2023. The five highlighted predictions:
- Cloud technologies will redefine sports as we know them
- Simulated worlds will reinvent the way we experiment
- A surge of innovation in smart energy
- The upcoming supply chain transformation
- Custom silicon goes mainstream
Read about these predictions in depth. If you are into tech development, it is definitely worth your time.
Learning Opportunities: Holiday Edition
The Holidays are a season for giving, and we’ve found some goodies for you. Here’s a quick round-up of excellent learning resources from this week:
- Blog Post – How to follow Amazon trends for 2023 by AMZ Advisers
- Blog Post – Amazon seller reinstatement strategy: best practices on writing solid escalations (that will actually get you reinstated) by ecommerceChris
- Podcast – Finding profitable replens inventory by Silent Sales Machine Radio
Other Quick Clicks
- Amazon focuses on packaging sustainability
- 6 warehouse robotics innovations Amazon showcased in 2022
- Amazon vs Walmart battle to remain focused on inflation, food prices
- Amazon may have slowed its warehouse expansion, but it still added space equal to half of Walmart’s distribution capacity this year
- Amazon opens first movie theatre, plans $1B push to release films in cinemas
Thank you for reading. If you have any questions, comments or violent reactions, let us know below!
About The Authors